It is considered as the best asana among all the asanas, as it activates most of the important glands and help improve their function. Even old books on Yoga proclaim importance of this asana.
Most of the times we remain either in standing or sitting position. Quite opposite position is taken in this asana. This helps improve the blood circulation as impure blood easily reaches the heart. The 'Jalandhar Bandha' pressurizes the thyroid glands and to some extent pituitary gland thus helps improve their function. To some extent you can get the benefits of Shirsasana (up side down) in this posture. This asana controls and cures the diseases related to genital organs, constipation.
- This is a panacea, a cure-all, a sovereign specific for all diseases.
- It brightens the psychic faculties and awakens Kundalini Sakti, removes all sorts of diseases of intestine and stomach, and augments the mental power.
- It supplies a large quantity of blood to the roots of spinal nerves.
- It is this Asana which centralizes the blood in the spinal column and nourishes it beautifully. But for this Asana there is no scope for these nerve-roots to draw sufficient blood-supply. It keeps the spine quite elastic. Elasticity of the spine means everlasting youth.
- It acts as a powerful blood-tonic and purifier. It tones the nerves and awakens Kundalini. Spinal column is rendered very soft and elastic.
- This Asana prevents the early ossification of the vertebral bones. Ossification is quick degeneration of bones.