Surya Namaskar is a series of twelve physical postures. These alternating backward and forward bending postures flex and stretch the spinal column through their maximum range giving a profound stretch to the whole body. Often, after a hard days work, we would just flop down on the couch apparently relaxing our bodies – but it is NOT so. The stagnant energies remain locked up and the organs remain de-oxygenated to a large extent.
Surya Namaskar has a deep effect in detoxifying the organs through copious oxygenation and has a deeper relaxing effect.
- Promotes sleep and calms anxiety.
- Restores any lost elasticity, through stimulation of glands and the strengthening of pectoral muscles.
- Tones up the nervous system and improves memory. Acts as detoxifying agent, by getting rid of enormous quantity of carbon dioxide and other toxic gases.
- Strengthens abdominal muscles thoroughly ventilates the lungs, and oxygenates the blood.
- Normalizes the activity of the endocrine glands – especially the thyroid gland.
- Refreshes the skin. Prevents Skin disorders.
- Improves muscle flexibility Suppresses menstrual irregularity and assists in easy childbirth.
- Prevents loss of hair and graying.
- Reduces abnormal prominence of the Adam's apple.