We each possess vast mental and physic resources that lie virtually untapped below the surface of the conscious mind. To release this latent potential, Raj Yoga prescribe a psychological approach, based on a practical system of concentration and control of the mind. Right conduct, a healthy body and steady posture, breath regulation, and withdrawal of the senses are recommended to achieve this Hatha Yoga is a form of Raj Yoga that emphasizes asanas and pranayamas. Raj Yoga is a specialization of Shri Krishna Yog.
The Eight Steps of Raj Yoga
This approach follows the eight steps to achieve its ultimate goal. The sage Patanjali have compiled findings in the Raj Yog Sutra, a text that describe the inner working of the mind, and also provides an eight – stepped (ashtang) blueprint for controlling the restless mind and enjoying the cosmic peace.
- Yamas (abstensions): Truth, non-violence, control of sexual energy, non-stealing, non-covetousness
- Niyamas (observances): Austerities, purity, contentment, study, surrender of the ego
- Asansas: Steady postures
- Pranayamas: Control of the vital energy
- Pratyahar: Withdrawal of the senses
- Dharana: Concentration of the mind
- Dhyana: Meditation
- Samadhi: The super conscious state